Play Quizlet. Just scroll down and click on Physical, then scroll to find the Module you want.
This module (chapter) was about the properties of water. We had already learned that water is made up of molecules consisting of two atoms of hydrogen gas, and one atom of oxygen gas.
This experiment 4.1, The Chemical Composition of Water, showed it again, but also showed us experimental error. This experiment typically must not work well all the time since Dr. Wile specifically went into detail about this.
Indeed, we had way more hydrogen gas than oxygen gas. We were attempting to show there was twice as much hydrogen as oxygen in water. I'm sure if we had waited longer, we would have begun to see a bit more oxygen.
Here is a better picture at a fellow homeschooler's blog. (scroll to the bottom)
Experimental error occurs for different reasons, some being an error on the part of the experimenter. Dr. Wile gave examples of two scientists who did not wait to submit their experiments to peer review (other scientists) before publishing their results on Cold Fusion. Results that indeed were in error.
Polarity of Water (exp. 4.2). The hydrogen and oxygen atoms have slight positive and negative charges, like the north and south ends of magnets. Rebekah combed her hair quickly, then held the comb near a thin stream of water. The comb picked up stray negative electrons in her hair and became negatively charged. This negative charge on the comb attracted the positive charges on the hydrogen atoms in the water molecules. The water molecules turned so the hydrogen atoms pointed toward the comb, slightly curving the stream of water toward the comb.
All these worked better:
This one uses a balloon.
This one says use a nylon comb.
This one says it works better in low humidity. It rained the day we did this experiment.
Experiment 4.3, Water as a Solvent showed things that water could and could not dissolve. Water can dissolve table salt because of the molecules in salt that contain sodium (Na+) ions and chloride (Cl-) ions. Ions were once atoms that had no net electrical charge, but now have either a positive or negative charge. The electrically charged molecules in water are attracted to these ions and surround the negative and positive ions, pulling the salt ions away from each other. The salt molecules are no longer visible in the water, though they are still there.
Experiment 4.4, Comparing Solid Water to Solid Butter. Water molecules that are close to each other will hydrogen bond because of their negative and positive charges. This is evident when two drops of water on a tabletop join into one larger drop.
In nearly every substance in the world, molecules are closer in a solid substance than when it is liquid. For example, a square of solid butter will sink in a glass of melted butter.
But when water freezes, its molecules move further apart, allowing it to float. When water is solid, it cannot hydrogen bond. When it is liquid, the molecules are free to move and to hydrogen bond.
Experiment 4.5, Water's Cohesion. I'm sure many kids have tried floating a paperclip on water. This demonstrates the cohesion of water. The polarity of water molecules combined with hydrogen bonding tends to keep water molecules close together when it is a liquid. Adding a drop of dish soap (contains sodium stearate) breaks the water's cohesion. This ingredient has molecules that are attracted to water. It forced the water molecules apart, breaking the hydrogen bond, and made the paperclip move across the water before it sank.
Try it with a clean bowl of water sprinkled with pepper. =) My kids said these were swimmers getting away from a shark. ~~^~~~~^°~~ swim, swim!!! =)
(We should sing "Baby Shark" here now. ♪♫♪)
WOW! God sure knows what He's doing! All this... in something most take for granted. Water.
The awesomeness of God!
Evolutionists just don't know what they're missing. And it's not a link! 
Wish I had had you for my teacher when I was in high school. Would've been kind of hard to do since you are a bit younger than I, ha! Loved the last paragraph here about the "link" -- ha ha!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mom.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm younger than you.
You were on the ark, remember? lol!!!
I'll have to post that story soon. =)
L♥ve you!
lol I like the last statement too. I am going to link this post to mine for viewers to see. :)
ReplyDeleteI like how you balanced your test tubes. That is a great idea.
Thank you for the link about the balloon. If I ever do this experiment again, I'll go with the balloon.
You did a great job!
I think it said in the book to use knives to balance the tubes?
ReplyDeleteI read that SOMEwhere...
Oh, and before pouring in the water, we taped the 9-V battery down, too. I wasn't sure if it would stay upright in that bowl.
I'm going to re-do the Polarity one next week with a balloon. It's quick and easy, and they'll like it.
Oh, and thanks for linking me. =)
ReplyDelete