She was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in September, 2008, and had surgery to remove the tumor, but it was already in her bloodstream and spread to her lungs. She has been wonderful through it all! She and my Dad have stayed faithful to reading their Bibles and attending church. Mom can't go to all the services, but she goes when she is able. Through her cancer, she has been able to witness about Jesus Christ to many people - more than she would have otherwise. People seem willing to accept what you want to share when you tell them you have cancer.
For a little over a year (until a few months before we learned of the cancer), she also wrote a monthly paper for our family - The Grandkidz Gazette - starting with her and my Dad, then featuring one grandchild each month. She got to do an overview of the great-grandparents before she had to quit. Next was to be the children and spouses.
In December of 2008, she revised the issue that was about her so she could give it out and share the gospel of salvation with as many people as she could. That is the one I've posted here. Over the past year and a half, she and my Dad with help from some others have put together over 2,000 packets that include this paper, a gospel tract, a bookmark, and a couple of pieces of candy. She first handed them out to people at the cancer center, or while she sat in the car in the parking lot of the store while my Dad went in to get her medicine. Soon, people at her church wanted to give them out as well. Because of the chemo-related neuropathy, plus existing arthritis and fibromyalgia, she was getting to where she wasn't able to handle all the cutting, folding, and stringing the ribbon through the hole in the bookmark, etc. My kids and I brought home some materials and put together some for her. I know my siblings, their spouses, and other grandchildren have helped when they could, as well as some people from her church.
We may never know what person may read the gospel and decide to come to Jesus Christ! Salvation through Him is the only way to heaven! My Mom has had some down times, yes, but mostly she's praised the Lord for letting her go through this as it has brought her closer to Him. I'm crying as I write this. She's so special to me. My children love her; my husband loves her. What a great family relationship we have!
My Dad is in the background. A lot of people think of what my Mom is going through physically, but my Dad is hurting, too. I can barely type this... He has not turned back on God as some have when going through a trial. My Mom and Dad read their Bible every morning, and I know to wait awhile before calling. 'Cause if I do, they tell me they're reading! He loves her so much and does most of the chores around the house for her now. My Mom said, "After 50 years, I finally have the maid I've always wanted!" I love my Mom and Dad, and I'm so thankful my kids can know grandparents like them.
She has had short breaks from chemo, and has had to skip some treatments. She started having fewer from November thru January, and three months ago, she stopped taking any treatments. I'm pretty sure she will not be able to go back on them. She had scans done a couple of weeks ago, and they said there has been no further growth in the nodules on her lungs. We were so thankful to hear that. Her health has improved a little since being off chemo, but of course it has taken its toll. She still needs to pace herself and watch how much she does. She makes it a priority not to do much on Saturday so she will be able to go to church on Sunday!




Marty, what a beautiful, wonderful Mother's Day present! I feel so humbled and underserving of the honor you have bestowed on me. I just don't know what to say. It is so precious ... just like you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for including your Dad in this. He has truly been the best caregiver in the world and has given his all with a servant heart. I'm so thankful for the family God has given me.
I love you all so much.
Mom
Mom, I love you, too. ♥♥♥
ReplyDeleteNo other words necessary. =)