Learn all about clouds, hurricanes, etc, at Web Weather for Kids.
Play Quizlet. Just scroll down and click on Physical, then scroll to find the Module you want.
We are still working on the experiment for Module 7, which is to measure each day the high and low temperatures, high and low barometric pressure, note any precipitation, and write down the early and late cloud cover on Donna Young's printable Weather Chart. Except for the cloud cover, we are getting our information from Weather Underground. This module was to lead up to learning about predicting the weather in Module 8.
Last week I started making pictures of the clouds each day, so we could look back and maybe see a pattern. On the fourth day, I began thinking... (I should do that more often!) I had taken pictures from the front door and from the back door. Sometimes they were different kinds! Hmmm, which clouds would likely be coming our way? I wondered how this experiment would work! I emailed Apologia, and Dr. Wile answered that I should be looking at the clouds straight overhead!!! woopsie! So I changed the way I made the pictures, and here they are. I'll be adding more daily, so check back if you're interested. I believe you can see all the cloud pictures here at a glance.
Notice the clouds at Noon on Tuesday, 4/27/10, when it was raining. Notice again the clouds this morning, Monday, 5/03/10, when it was getting ready to rain, and then when it rained.
5/10/10 Last Monday, it rained. Today there was a little more sun, so we went back and tried the Hershey Kiss experiment that I saw on Michelle's blog.

The kids tried lighting the kisses with matches, but that of course didn't work. Then they tried directing a pin-point of sunlight, Insolation (Incoming Solar Radiation), onto the tip of the kiss. This failed for us, and even JohnDavid who is the king of burning things with a magnifying glass was unable to get this to work.I guess we needed more sun than was out today.
← Here's what it's supposed to look like.
Thanks, Michelle for letting us borrow your pic!
You did a good job with this one. My students hated the project. LOL I like looking at Weather Underground for the information we needed. So interesting.
ReplyDeleteYes, they have to be made to check the weather. Not their favorite project, lol.
ReplyDelete