Videos, etc, for M10
Ecology is "the scientific study of the relation of living organisms with each other and their surroundings." Plants (producers) supply food for animals (consumers). There are primary consumers that only eat plants, secondary consumers that eat the animals that eat plants, and tertiary consumers that eat animals that eat other animals.
You may remember that all food chains begin with a green plant.
Well, there are also food webs. A food web, when drawn on a diagram, looks just like that -- a web. Some animals can be more than one type of consumer. A hawk is a tertiary consumer because it will eat a snake that eats mice. But a hawk is also a secondary consumer because it will also eat mice.
We had planned to do a food web in class (I was gonna copy Michelle), and everyone was bringing stuffed animals that belonged to their younger siblings. But due to illness (mine), we were unable to meet, and I had the kids do their own food webs at home and send me pictures.
I thought this was a clever use of a little sister's toys!
Animals and plants in a certain environment make up an ecosystem. An ecosystem is categorized by climate, animals, and plant life.
We learned about different kinds of symmetry, and I had also planned to copy Michelle in this fun experiment, We Are Not Created Equal, but we didn't get to have our class. (I rely on her posts, can you tell???) =)
I guess I could always use photos I already have and bisect my student's faces, lol. =D
sMiLeS,
What a great idea to use stuffed animals! I love it!
ReplyDeleteYes, bisect your students and post about it. Those pictures are so fun!
I was nearly out of ink, so I had to come up w/ another idea besides printing!
ReplyDeleteMy teens didn't have enough variety of animals, so we borrowed some from my niece.
ha, I shall look thru the pics I have and see if I have any that are face-forward enough. =D
That is awesome! What a great idea! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks. =)
ReplyDelete