The Brain and the Nervous System, the 5 Senses, and the Skeletal System
We have fun in our class! I "lecture" (if you can call it that, lol), and give an overview of the chapter.
Sometimes I have visuals or handouts for them to look at along with me, or to read aloud. We discuss as we go. The kids know there will be a "quiz-game" at the end, and they win chocolate, so they listen pretty well.
I ask questions aloud and they all write the answers on small dry erase boards and show me when they know I'm looking. I don't tell who is right or wrong until all have answered, and they get one try. We've tried several different ways, including written quizzes on paper, but we all agree that this is our favorite way. I love that all the kids get to answer each question, and that we can discuss each answer as we go. Often I will ask a question more than once especially if some have missed it, or just ask it in a different way.
Usually I have gone over most of them during the 'teaching' time, questioning them as we go, re-questioning ones they missed, etc. So they do pretty well when we get to the quiz-game.
Labeling Oscar
Sometimes we get to physically do something as part of the quiz-game rather than just answer questions, but there are always questions too.
Our first class was about the brain and nervous system, and I had no activities really, so no pics.
During the second class for this chapter, they had fun labeling "Oscar." My oldest daughter and niece had named him Oscar when we did Biology 3 years ago. They name everything! =)
![]() |
| One of the teams labeling Oscar - use super sticky Post-its! |
![]() |
| The boys putting Oscar in all sorts of silly poses =D |
| A couple of illustrations for fun =) |
There was some discussion as to how one would know if a skeleton was male or female.
JohnDavid said one way to know, is that if the jawbone was wore down more, it was female! Or, he said, you can look to see if the feet are pointed toward the mall!
He cracks me up! =)
sMiLeS,


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!
If you choose Anonymous, please leave a first name.
Thanks!