Me: "Frogs!"
Bethany: "Oh, that sounds fun!"
......
Rebekah: Did no dissections.
This was her Biology book:
| Hehehe... |
Land Animals
In part 1 of this chapter, we studied warm-blooded land vertebrates, which are mammals, and we didn't have a class during that section.
In part 2, we studied coldblooded land vertebrates, then land invertebrates. So this is where I decided to have the dissections for frogs and earthworms. We did them on separate weeks.
Frog Dissection:
These frogs were injected with dye, supposedly to help distinguish one organ from another...
actually they almost look tie-dyed!
| Lifting the stomach to show organs underneath. The black and pale speckled material are the eggs, contained in ovaries, so this is a female. |
| "Ramen noodles!" declared the boys, hahaha! Actually coils of the oviduct where the eggs pass through. |
Earthworm Dissection:
| Earthworm dissection. This one went more quickly than the others. |
Done with animals, next we are studying the human body. But no dissections! =D
sMiLeS,

Marty,
ReplyDeleteWhere did you find the videos for dissection "prep". I have been teaching our homeschool group Biology class for 3 years and I taught in the community college before this, and for the 1st time ever I have a student who legitimately cannot handle the dissections! I'm in search of an alternate way for him to complete the requirement.
Thanks SO much for your blog and the Homeschooler's Resource site! These and Michelle's "Applies's Place" are my go-to, time and life saving resources! =)
~Lisa
Lisa, I used videos I found on YouTube. I posted them at Homeschoolers Resources with the corresponding chapter in Biology.
DeleteHere is post "b" for Bio 101, chapter 5. This post has the videos for frog and earthworm.
http://homeschoolersresources.blogspot.com/2014/01/biology-101-chapter-5b-6th-day-land.html
You'll find all the posts for Bio 101 under the tab at the top of the page.
I didn't realize I had not linked within this post to the video posts at HSR. I will have to remedy that soon. =)